It’s been another very productive week. The first thing that I managed to do was to add another order to the system. ‘Charge!’ orders can now be used within the game:
In the case above, two orders have been issued to the unit: A normal move forward order, followed by a charge order. You can see this unit executing these orders over two turns in the video below:
After adding the charge order, I decided that it was time to flesh out and expand the manoeuvres sub-system. This required a lot of effort to do, but it now provides the following benefits:
- Each unit can have its own set of manoeuvres.
- Each manoeuvre can be customized to provide differing unit characteristics.
- I finally learnt how to spell Manoeuvre 😛
In essence, this new functionality means that some units can do more or less with regard to manoeuvring when compared to other units. What is more, the manoeuvres also define how that unit is able to execute a particular manoeuvre.
For example a really poorly trained infantry unit might break* formation when being ordered to move forward, whereas a unit with good training will be able to move forward with no issues.
*Ancient Armies differentiates between a broken formation – that is a formation with no cohesion and a routed formation which is a unit with no cohesion and no morale 🙂
These manœuvres possess a whole bunch of characteristics that will mean that a player will really have to learn what their individual units are capable of, as even two seemingly similar units may in fact behave very differently under the same issued orders…
To proceed further with the coding of the orders system, I have come to realise that I’m going to have to start programming the game as if it is running an actual game. At this point in time if one loads a scenario within the game, the game loads it with no idea of who is playing which side and what the various Line Of Sight restrictions are.
However, I’m now starting to rectify this which has meant more new code!
The scenario editor can now be used to modify scenario durations and now more importantly, it can also be used to define scenario information and briefings. Each scenario gets its own overview, plus each army gets it’s own specific briefing.
Scenario briefings turned out to be a lot trickier than anticipated. The big issue is that the scenario files are self contained and hold the briefing information within them. But I don’t want to have to load all the scenarios to present the list to the user.
Needless to say I have found a way around this issue. 😎
On picking a scenario one is now presented with the dialog window shown above. One should note, that I am using nonsensical test data from a bunch of test scenarios. The real briefings will be much better and more detailed.
So things are progressing forward at a decent pace, which keeps me happy. Readers should note that the game is very much evolving as it’s being coded. Some features will stay, others will change and there are still yet others to add.
As such, what you see here is a snapshot in time of what the game currently looks like, this doesn’t mean to say the final game will be the same! 🙂